Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister

Behind SOF

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin

Behind SOF Empty
PostSubject: Behind SOF   Behind SOF EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm

RIP Marine Sniper
Behind SOF Ssgtcharlesicartwright
Sgt Charles I. Cartwright, USMC, 26, Union Bridge, MD (Afghanistan)
(*Please read the full story)
Sgt. Cartwright had enlisted one day before Sept. 11, 2001
WASHINGTON — Sgt. Charles I. Cartwright, 26, a member of the Marine Corps from Union Bridge, died Nov. 7, caught in hostile fire in the Farah Province of western Afghanistan, according to the Marine Corps Forces Special Office of Command.
Cartwright graduated in 2001 from Walkersville High School in Frederick County, where he helped the Lions bring home the county wrestling championship his senior year, according to The Frederick News Post.
Months after graduation — and one day before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks — Cartwright enlisted in the Marine Corps.
He was married December 2008, 11 months to the day of his passing.
A public memorial group for Cartwright has already gone up on Facebook, the social networking site. The group has provided a forum for mourners to post photos, share stories and pay tribute to him.
Among them are stories from friends about Chuck.

Rebecca Cartwright, Charles' sister, wrote, "Baby Brother, I will forever be indebted to you, your courage and your service. I miss you so much but know you were not afraid or scared."

After enlisting as an 18-year-old, Cartwright trained in reconnaissance. He went on to serve tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan and won a total of four service deployment ribbons.
Cartwright was promoted to sergeant on Aug. 1, 2006, and joined the 1st Marine Special Operations Battalion based at Camp Pendleton, Calif. Because of the base’s location, on the Pacific Ocean, he reportedly took up surfing as a hobby.
Cartwright was twice awarded the Purple Heart for injuries sustained in battle, and accumulated numerous other decorations for his outstanding performance.

Those included a Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, two Combat Action Ribbons, a Navy Presidential Unit Citation, two Marine Corps Good Conduct Medals, the National Defense Service Medal, an Afghanistan Campaign Medal, two Iraqi Campaign Medals, the Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, a NATO medal and two Certificates of Commendation.
*By David M. Johnson, Capital News Service

Chuck was in MARSOC...Marine Special Operations Command. He was a Marine scout sniper. He was ahead of everyone else, placing his safety aside so his brothers-in-arms had the best chance possible to achieve victory. In his final battle, Chuck refused to leave a fellow marine behind, wounded in combat. His squad was small, three at most. Quite possibly just him and his spotter...i dont know all the details. I DO know that when they found his body, he had over 300 spent rounds of ammunition all around him. He gave our enemies hell. He made the ultimate sacrifice. He fought for our freedom.

I will never forget you Chuck. Thank you for your sacrifice. Thank you for keeping us safe.

His military awards include: two Purple Hearts, Navy-Marine Corps Commendation Medal, two Combat Action Ribbons, Navy Presidential Unit Citation, Navy Unit Commendation, two Marine Corps Good Conduct Medals, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, two Iraqi Campaign Medals, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, four Sea Service Deployment Ribbons, NATO Medal and two Certificates of Commendation.
Back to top Go down
https://sofclan.forumakers.com
CrackShot

CrackShot

Behind SOF Empty
PostSubject: Re: Behind SOF   Behind SOF EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 2:47 pm

What a great friend and patriot Chuck was. I know we're all making him proud. To my SOF members, thank you for supporting me and our cause. Chuck, thank you for your sacrifice brother.

*S*

-Ryan
Back to top Go down
hazard

hazard

Behind SOF Empty
PostSubject: Re: Behind SOF   Behind SOF EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Although I have read about Chuck before in a different thread, after re-reading it in this thread, it makes me feel proud that our country has brave men and women who put their lives at risk in order to maintain the goals of America and preserve our freedom. And though I did not know Chuck, and am just coming into this cause, I am still thankful for his service.

*S*

-Dustin
Back to top Go down
Durty

Behind SOF Empty
PostSubject: Re: Behind SOF   Behind SOF EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Extremely tragic and a great loss to our country and especially to his family. I realize this is an old thread but my thoughts are with his family.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Behind SOF Empty
PostSubject: Re: Behind SOF   Behind SOF Empty

Back to top Go down

Behind SOF
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Clan Information-
Jump to: